Relapse occurs when a person who has achieved sobriety from drugs or alcohol begins to use again. Ultimately, in treatment, the goal is to focus on relapse prevention. Yet, when relapsed, it’s important not to see the process as a failure. Instead, this is a step towards getting more treatment and support. Understanding what happens during this process may help enable parents to help avoid relapse. The relapse prevention plan offered at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery may also offer some guidance. Call our team today at 866.300.5275 for more information about relapse prevention techniques.
What Causes Relapse in a Teen?
It’s not always possible to understand why someone relapsed. There are a few common causes that may be most likely.
- Stress: One of the most significant factors for relapse for anyone is stress. There’s no way to avoid it in daily life. Many teens face stress at home, at school, and later on in multiple areas of their life.
- Peer groups: Aftercare is a big part of relapse prevention because of peer pressure. Going back to school or getting back into life requires careful consideration of risks related to peers.
- Mental health: Teens have an increased risk of mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression. Without treating these underlying causes, the risk of relapse is much higher.
- Not enough treatment: It’s never wise to rush through treatment. That makes relapse more likely because it does not give the body and brain time to heal. Encountering daily challenges before being ready for it increases the risk of using again.
Education, resources to deal with challenging life events, and a safe, drug-free environment are all factors that play a role in when relapse occurs. A crucial part of this has a plan in place to deal with risks like these.
What Does a Relapse Prevention Plan Provide?
The goal of relapse prevention is to provide tools and strategies to help minimize the risk of relapse. For example, teens learn about their triggers. These are events, places, people, or past experiences that lead them to think about using or to engage in it. Through this treatment, they learn how to avoid allowing these triggers to enable them to stay sober for longer periods.
With the help of a relapse prevention plan, teens also learn how to manage stress and the challenges life brings their way. There is no way to safeguard and protect them forever. By providing tools to control harmful and unhelpful thinking, it is possible to prepare them to handle their future in the best way possible. Relapse prevention is effective.
Finding the Right Help Before Relapse
No matter where you are as a parent with a teen using drugs and alcohol, your goal is to prevent relapse from occurring. We can help with treatment that can restore a child’s ability to live a full, healthy life. This care includes working to heal family relationships, improving academics, and even giving them back their happiness. Yet, even if a child has relapsed, there is help available from us, including a comprehensive program designed to get them back on track.
If you’re facing this challenge, reach out to us now to learn about our treatment programs. Some of the ways we are unique include therapies such as:
- Family therapy programs
- Equine therapy programs
- Academic support programs
- Holistic healing solutions
- Co-occurring issues treatment
Call Foothills at Red Oak Recovery Now
Relapse is not a failure. It is a need for additional help and support. For teens who have relapsed, there are strategies available to help them get back on track. Our relapse prevention always aims to help avoid this. Yet, it can happen. At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we utilize a comprehensive, innovative, and effective relapse prevention plan to help your son. Call us at 866.300.5275 or reach out online for the help you need today.