Some parents ignore signs that indicate they have a troubled teen. It’s easy to chalk up bad behavior as part of the typical teenage experience. However, if your child suddenly begins to act out of character, they may need help. At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery in North Carolina, we have an adolescent treatment center for teenage boys. We also provide gender-specific mental health and substance abuse counseling for young men. To learn more about our treatment options, please contact Foothills at Red Oak today at 866.300.5275.
Do You Have a Troubled Teen?
Do you think you know your child well? You may wonder why he has suddenly started behaving differently but believe that it’s not a significant issue. When you notice strange behavior, address it immediately to avoid a worsening problem. Your son may need help getting through a difficult time or have a mental health disorder that threatens his well-being.
Our therapy programs for teens include the following:
Let us help your son regain his mental health and break free from substance use and other disorders.
Signs Your Teen Needs Adolescent Therapy
Here are some signs that you have a troubled teen who needs help:
- Your son suddenly changes from being open and talkative to secretive and lying. Teens are still learning how to share their feelings. They also value their privacy. So, they may hide things from you under normal circumstances. However, if your son suddenly starts lying to you, it may indicate substance abuse or other problems.
- Your teen sleeps all the time. While it’s true that teenagers require additional sleep, sleeping all the time indicates an issue. On average, teenagers need 8 to 10 hours of sleep.
- Failing grades replace better grades from past report cards. This may indicate that your son has lost interest in school because he is more interested in drugs and alcohol.
- Changes in eating habits can indicate an unhealthy relationship with food. If your son skips meals, avoids food, or binges, he may need disordered eating treatment. These patterns can last for months as your child uses binge eating, fasting, and drugs to avoid their negative body image.
- Refusing to show up for meals may indicate an issue. Your teenager may closet themselves in their room and refuse to come down for meals. This extreme isolation can exacerbate mental health disorders if left untreated.
Talk to your adolescent or teen to get to the bottom of their thoughts and feelings.
Your Child May Need Adolescent Therapy
Look for signs that your son needs help dealing with mental health or substance abuse disorders. These signs may include the following:
- Skipping school
- Ignoring hygiene
- Acting aggressively
At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we offer psychological evaluations to help you find out what’s going on with your son.
What Can You Do to Help Your Troubled Teen?
Many teenagers want to know that their opinion counts. Therefore, they may become dramatic during conflicts or differences of opinion. Your teenager may pressure buttons to gain your attention. By spending quality time with your adolescent or teen, you can help avoid feelings of anger and confusion. In any case, remember to avoid getting into a power struggle with your bossy or overbearing teen.
Seek Treatment at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery
If you notice signs that you may have a troubled team, it’s essential to seek out effective teen therapy programs. At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we provide comprehensive care for our clients, including mental health treatment and substance abuse treatment. With the right treatment team, you can regain your son’s trust and improve the lives of your entire family. Contact us at 866.300.5275 today for more information on our services for troubled teens.