Psychological testing is a comprehensive evaluation of mental health. A licensed therapist uses this type of testing process to understand what’s happening to cause a person’s anxiety or other mood disturbances. It can help to reveal concerns with behavior, learning, and mood. Your teen may benefit from psychological testing if you’re concerned that they’re exhibiting symptoms of anxiety, depression, or trauma. Our team at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery provides comprehensive testing for a range of mental health disorders. To learn more about our services, please contact Foothills at Red Oak today at 866.300.5275.
When Is Psychological Testing Beneficial?
For teens, this testing process can provide insight into why they feel, think, or act the way they do. In some teens, this type of testing can help reveal negative thought patterns, inaccurate beliefs, or high stress levels. Left untreated, this can lead to complications with relationships, academics, and careers. Some signs a teen may benefit from this type of testing include:
- Feelings of anxiety that seem out of place
- Changes in academic performance
- Difficulty with emotions, experiencing extreme highs and lows
- Displaying aggressive behavior, especially if it is new
- Using drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism
- Conflicts with friends or family consistently
This type of testing helps therapists diagnosis mental health disorders. It can also reveal specific needs a teen has related to conditions such as ADHD and intellectual disability.
What Happens During a Teen’s Psychological Testing?
There are several types of psychological testing a therapist may use to evaluate teen mental health. Some examples of this include:
- Assessment of intellectual functioning: This is more commonly known as an IQ test. It measures a person’s cognitive ability. This can serve as a way to measure a person’s current abilities as well as their potential.
- Clinical interview: Structured clinical interviews and clinical diagnostic interviews allow a therapist to interact with a teen less formally. This can shed some light on conditions like depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder.
- Behavioral assessment: Therapists use this diagnostic tool to consider emotions and behaviors, including why they may occur. This is a common test when problematic behaviors arise, but the cause is unknown.
- Personality assessment: This type of testing looks at how environment, social interactions, and genetics play a role in the individual’s personality, emotions, mental health, and behaviors.
We may use any one of these evaluations to determine what treatment your teen needs.
Why Is Psychological Testing So Important?
Using the testing results, therapists can create a mental health treatment to address the teen’s unique needs. This treatment may include the use of medications for some who have hormonal imbalances or hard-to-control symptoms. It also enables therapists to develop psychological strategies for helping a teen better manage stress, triggers, and daily life.
At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we provide this type of testing to create a path forward. Through our understanding of a person’s mental health, healing and improvement occur. Our comprehensive programs include:
- Family therapy programs
- Equine therapy programs
- Academic assessment and support
- Holistic healing services
- Trauma treatment programs
To know which type of mental health treatment is best for a teen, we need to understand what is happening in their mind and, in many cases, why. This information empowers change and creates new opportunities for a person to live a productive, healthy life after treatment.
Find the Support You Need at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery
View psychological testing as a way to help a child that’s struggling. Our team at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery wants to help you ensure your teen gets the care necessary to live a long, healthy life. To learn more about our service and schedule an appointment, call 866.300.5275 or connect with us online.