When it comes to growing up, the teen years can be some of the most difficult. Developmentally, the early adolescent years are a time when teens become more focused on establishing an independent identity, outside of the family. They’re also facing normal hormonal changes related to puberty. This stage can be difficult because families may feel a new distance separating them from their teen. Families are becoming more aware of the need to help their teen navigate these challenging years. However, certain cases require more than just parental support. Teen therapy services at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery can provide your child with the care and support they need.
Does Your Teen Need Help?
Before you can find teen therapy services for your child, you must recognize that they need help. For many families, accepting that their teen is struggling and may need additional help can be a difficult step. However, finding them professional support may be the best thing a family can do for their child.
But how can a family tell if their teen is struggling with more than just hormones and angst? Look for the following changes in your child to determine if you should seek professional help:
- Problems with school– These issues can include falling grades, poor attendance, or disruptive behavior during class.
- Substance abuse– While some teens choose to experiment with new things during this time of their life; others may turn to harmful substances for coping purposes.
- Reckless behavior– Teens struggling with depression can engage in irresponsible or even dangerous behaviors like reckless driving, drinking, or unsafe sex.
- Reclusive behavior– Most teenagers request privacy and alone time during this stage of life, but constant seclusion can be a red flag for families.
- Aggression and irritability– Some struggling teens may become easily aggressive or irritable without any reason.
If you start to notice these red flags in your child, it’s time to find the teen therapy services NC provides for families.
The Need for Teen Therapy Services
While parental support is always helpful for teenagers during this stage, sometimes professional help is necessary to turn their lives around. Teen therapy services provide a safe space for adolescents and teens to talk through their problems, identify solutions, and learn healthy coping strategies.
During individual sessions, your child can discuss their problems and struggles openly without fear of judgment or punishment. Fearing parental disappointment and the consequences of unhealthy decision making tends to deter teens from being open and honest. In therapy, your child can speak freely, which allows a therapist to help them feel better and stronger, make healthier choices, and discover more about themselves. The skills and coping mechanisms taught in these sessions can help your child and your family for years to come.