World Teen Mental Awareness Day is March 2, 2021. This year, the goal of raising awareness of mental health issues in young adults and teens has never been more relevant. Providing support, especially to those that the pandemic has impacted, is critical for creating healthy lives. At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we offer the counseling many teens need to reach these goals. Call our experts today at 866.300.5275 to learn about the treatment options available.
Breaking the Stigma of Teen Mental Health Disorders
Teens face an uphill battle when it comes to mental health disorders. In some cases, these disorders are masked easily by what some consider “normal teen behavior,” such as outbursts and experimentation. Other times, teens fear the stigma of telling someone their thoughts and feelings. In some situations, teens may have past trauma they are unwilling to open up about to friends or family. In all of these situations, teen mental health suffers.
The only way through this type of situation is to seek out counseling. To get a teen to that point, they need to realize it’s not their fault, it can get better, and healing can help them build a better quality of life.
What Can Be Done to Improve Access to Teen Mental Health Services?
Mental health awareness is an essential step in helping teens reach out for help. No matter if you are a parent, a teen, or a friend, there are simple things that may help break this stigma, such as:
- Realize mental health disorders are diseases like any other type. Professional treatment is an option for most people.
- Encourage a friend to open up and talk about what’s happening. If you suspect something is wrong, it probably is.
- Recognize it’s okay to need help for depression, anxiety, or past trauma. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed by thoughts and emotions.
- If you are working on recovery from addiction or drug abuse, recognize the need for ongoing counseling for mental health disorders.
- Seek out treatment for yourself. If you don’t have a family member who can help you, turn to a local program or contact our team for immediate help.
At Foothills at Red Oak, we strive to provide the care and support that adolescent males require to recover from mental health conditions. Call our team today at 866.300.5275 to schedule a consultation.
Does Your Child Need Help for Teen Mental Health?
Counseling and support help many people reclaim their future and build healthy self-confidence. Recognizing the needs of your teen is the first step. Some signs that your child or someone you know may need help include:
- Using drugs or alcohol to manage emotions or stress
- Feeling hopeless, down, or just unable to be happy
- Worrying so much about everything happening around them that they stop engaging in life
- Experiencing intense physical pain and anguish in stressful situations
- Struggling with flashbacks from previous trauma
- Withdrawing from friends and family or activities once loved
If you see these types of symptoms, seek out help for your teen. The support you provide now can shape their future.
How Can We Help with Teen Mental Health Needs?
At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we work closely with our clients to ensure you get access to the very best care. If you believe your condition may benefit from counseling or want a consultation to make sure everything is okay, reach out to our team. We offer a range of services that may provide the support necessary, including:
- Holistic healing services
- Co-occurring issue treatment
- Substance abuse treatment
- Trauma treatment services
- Equine therapy services
- Psychological testing services
Teen mental health defines overall wellbeing. Don’t put off getting your loved one help. Call Foothills at Red Oak Recovery today to find the support you need. Raising mental health awareness is one of our goals. To learn more, call 866.300.5275 or connect with us online now.